Child Health Nursing for Post Basic B.Sc. (Nursing)
||· Explain the modem concept of child care and principles of child health nursing.
· Describe national policy programmes and legislation in relation to child
health and welfare
· List major causes of death during infancy, early and late childhood
· Describe the major functions and role of the paediatric nurse in caring for
a hospitalized child.
· Describe the principles of child health nursing.
|To Cover Historical development of Pediatrics and Pediatric Nursing in India, Current status of child health in India, Trends in Pediatrics and Pediatric Nursing,
Ethical and cultural issues in pediatric care ,Rights of children
National health policy for children, special laws and ordinances relating to children.
National goals ,Five year plans ,
National health programs related to child health. preparation for hospitalization, effects of hospitalization on the child and family Stressors and reactions related to developmental stages, play activities for ill hospitalized child. Nursing care of hospitalized child and family -principles and practices.
|Teaching seminar on national health programmes, trends
Students seminar on rights of child
Project on collection of vital statistics related to child health.
Teaching seminar on hospital environment for a sick child
Interactive session stressors during hospitalization and reaction related to developmental stages.
||The healthy child
· Principles of growth & development
· Factors affecting growth & development
· Growth and development from birth to adolescence.
· The needs of normal children through the stages of developmental and parental guidance
· Nutritional needs of children & infants: breast feeding, exclusive breast feeding, supplementary/artificial feeding and weaning
· Baby friendly hospital concept
· Accidents: causes and prevention
· Value of play and selection of play material
· Preventive immunization, immunization program and cold chain
· preventive paediatrics
· Care of under five & under five clinics/ well baby clinics
· Identify the needs of children at different ages & provide parental guidance
|To cover Developmental assessment Physical assessment Nutritional assessment , Family assessment.
To cover Principles of growth and development, Concepts and theories of growth and development, Developmental tasks and special needs from infancy to adolescence, developmental milestones, Assessment of growth and development of pediatric clients and Factors affecting growth and development.
the child, preventive technique for home accidents .
|Conventional method on growth & development assessments
Demonstration on preventive paediatrics.
Student seminar on immunization & cold chain.
Demonstration on play therapy .
Videos Plotting of growth chart on growth & development & reflexes
Conventional method on reflexes
||Nursing care of a neonate
· Nursing care of a normal newborn care/Essential newborn care
· Neonatal resuscitation
· Nursing management of a low birth weight baby
· Kangaroo mother care
· Nursing management of common neonatal disorders
· Organization of neonatal unit
· Identification and nursing management of common congenital
|· Provide care to normal &high risk neonates
· Perform neonatal resuscitation.
· Recognize and manage Common neonatal problems Describe the major functions and role of the paediatric nurse in caring for a hospitalized child.
|To cover the care of the new born and family.
High risk newborn- pre term and term neonate and growth retarded babies,
Identification and classification of neonates with infections,
HIV & AIDS, Ophthalmia neonatorum, congenital syphilis.
Identification, classification and nursing management of high risk new born- lOrganization of neonatal care, services(Levels), transport, neonatal intensive care unit, organization and management of nursing services in NICU.
Conventional method on neonatal resuscitation.
Teaching seminar on neonatal problems.
Problem based learning on neonatal disorders
(Integrated management of neonatal and childhood illnesses)
|Discuss the management of neonatal illness,||To cover Integrated management of neonatal and childhood illnesses||Student seminar on IMNCI assessment.
Interactive session on IMNCI protocol & process.
||· Management of behavioral and social problems in children
· Management of common behavioral disorders
· Management of common psychiatric problems
· Management of challenged children: Mentally, physically & socially
· Welfare services for challenged children in India
· Child guidance clinics
|· Manage the child with behavioral and social problems.
· Identify the social and welfare services for challenged children .
|To cover behavioural problem acc. To age group , social & psychiatric development, mentally , social & physically challenged childrens.child guidance clinic.||
Visit to anganwadi schools, remand homes & adoption centers& orphanage,child guidance clinic.
||· Nursing management in common childhood diseases
· Nutritional deficiency disorders
· Respiratory disorders and infections
· Gestrointestinal infections, infectations and congenital defects and
rheumatic fever, rheumatic heart disease
· Genito-urinary disorders: acute glomurulo nephritis, Nephrotic syndrome,
Wilms’ tumor, infection and congenital disorders.
· Neurological infections and disorders:
· Convulsions, epilepsy, meningitis, hydrocephalous, spina-bifida.
· Haematological disorders:
· Anaemia, thalassemia, ITP, Leukemia, hemophilia
· Endocrine disorders: Juvenile Diabetes Mellitus
· Orthopedic disorders: club feet, hip dislocation and fracture.
· Disorders of skin, eye, and ears
· Common communicable diseases in children, their identification, nursing
management in hospital and home and prevention Child health
· Poisoning, foreign bodies, haemorrhage, burns and drowning
|Provide nursing care in common childhood diseases-Identify measures to
prevent common childhood diseases including immunization
|To cover Embryological and fetal development, Prenatal factors influencing growth and development of fetus, Genetic patterns of common pediatric disorders, chromosomal aberrations, genetic assessment and counseling legal and ethical aspects of genetic, screening and counseling role of nurse in genetic counseling,
Importance of prenatal care and role of pediatric nurse.
|Teacher seminar on nutritional deficiencies, respiratory disorders, gastrointestinal infection, neurological infection & disorders.
Student seminar on genitourinary disorders.